Make the Wise Choice!
Sacramento DUI Lawyer
Every DUI case is unique; however, all cases involve the same criminal process. This process includes:
- Stop: This typically occurs when law enforcement notices a person weaving, speeding, or running red lights or stop signs. The person may also be stopped for an administrative infraction such as expired tags.
- Investigation: A law enforcement officer, upon first contacting a person suspected of DUI, will look for visual cues of impairment, such as slurred speech. They may then have the person exit the vehicle and perform a variety of sobriety tests. Failure to pass these tests may result in the officer placing the person under arrest.
- Arrest: Once a person has been arrested for DUI, they are taken to a police station where they may be asked to take a breath or blood test to determine their blood alcohol content.
- Booking/release: This involves being searched, fingerprinted, photographed, and placed in a holding cell. A bail amount will be set for the person's release. They may leave the police station once they have posted bail or promised to appear in court.
- Arraignment: This is the first court appearance for a DUI charge. At this hearing, the person (or their attorney) will enter a plea of guilty, not guilty, or no contest. The case will also be set for trial.
- Hearing for pretrial motions: This is an opportunity for a person's attorney to negotiate with the prosecutor. The attorney may be able to reach a plea agreement with the prosecution, in which case the plea is entered and the person is sentenced. If the case moves forward to trial, the attorney may be able to successfully file a motion for the suppression of certain evidence.
- Trial: At a DUI trial, a person's case will be heard by a judge and a 12-person jury. Both defense and prosecution will have an opportunity to provide opening statements, presentation of evidence and testimony related to the case, and closing arguments. Cross-examination of witnesses may occur. In order for the person to be found guilty, every juror must be convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that the offense actually took place.
Do you know what to expect after a DUI?
Wise Law Group, PC is a firm that is dedicated to providing effective legal defense to those charged with DUI. With over 20 years of experience in the area of criminal defense, they are able to obtain results, and they have successfully helped a large number of clients achieve case resolutions that involve reduced or dismissed charges. Mr. Wise is prepared to fight aggressively on your behalf to secure a favorable outcome in your DUI case. Talk to a Sacramento DUI lawyer from our team today!